- General English Examinations
- International ESOL
- International Spoken ESOL
- International ESOL Diploma
- International ESOL A1 Diploma
- Benefits of our exams
- Study Skills
- Online Courses
- Teacher Development Workshops
International ESOL Diploma
Is a combination of City & Guilds International ESOL and International Spoken ESOL tests and as such gives testimony of students' communicative competencies in all four skill-areas of writing, reading, listening and speaking. Due to the comprehensive range of skills covered by the International ESOL Diploma, it is recognised by governments and universities in many parts of the world.
The diploma can be taken at six levels and was developed from the Common European Framework (CEF).
Assessment is covered by taking two papers:
- International Spoken ESOL (8985) which assesses real speaking ability through a one to one structured interview
- International ESOL (8984) - a single exam paper which covers listening, reading and writing.
Levels and recognition
There are six levels linked to the Common European Framework (CEF). The upper levels, Expert and Mastery, are recognised by many English speaking universities as evidence of language proficiency for entry purposes. Have a look at who recognises our International ESOL and SESOL Qualifications. You can also browse our recognitions search page for information about other qualifications.
The Diploma is also approved by the UK's Border Agency as evidence of English proficiency for skilled and highly skilled migrants wishing to work or live in the UK. To find out more please visit the dedicated section on the Home Office website.
with City & Guilds' own publications you are sure to succeed